[pydotorg-www] Python 3.4 many problems, no ability to register and report bugs

Bill Bergmann wfbergmann at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 23:39:30 CEST 2014

Along with doing my own work in python I lead a couple user groups in python in Albuquerque, NM. After some perl programmers in one group asked me about whether python 3 is proving to be perl 6, I decided to take on a serious project with python 3.4 to find out for myself. I have discovered many problems and few documented solutions or workarounds for the problems I am finding.

Along the way, I have found the installation of python 3.4 to have created various problems with python 2.7. For example: bcrypt is currently inoperable within python 2.7 despite several attempted workarounds. Yes, I am familiar with virtualenv, but the problem seems to be beyond the ability of virtualenv to insulate it.

I decided to do my part and file some bug reports. I am not able to register at the python bug tracker. I'm not too naive a programmer. I've programmed in python over ten years, and I am concerned. These problems have not been characteristic of my experiences with python, and the current state of disarray makes advocating for python problematic. If I am experiencing these problems, I think it safe to say that there are many others. Programmers from other programming languages will meet these problems and simply walk away from python.

What is going on? Any suggestions?

Bill Bergmann

The example code from the Python Standard Library 17.4.2.1 run on python 3.4:

$ python3 17_4_2.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 2195, in _find_and_load_unlocked
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute '__path__'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "17_4_2.py", line 1, in <module>
    import concurrent.futures
ImportError: No module named 'concurrent.futures'; 'concurrent' is not a package

I am running this on OS X 10.6:
$env

PATH=/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.4/bin:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin: ...

PYTHONPATH=/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.4/lib/python3.4/site-packages/:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/: