[pydotorg-www] [Psf-redesign] Fwd: [Pydotorg] Fwd: pydotorg 'easy' github issues

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat Aug 9 00:07:03 CEST 2014

[BCc'ing RFP Redesign to end-thread them]

On Aug 8, 2014, at 2:23 PM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Judging from the fact that there was no response from pydotorg inner circle
> where all admins are supposed to be, and no response from the so-called
> 'community of pydotorg-www' I propose reorganization to make things clear
> and obvious. In result:

Didn't you propose the last reorganization and naming? What is this one supposed to achieve?

> - pydotorg-www@ stops to function, redirects to pydotorg

Where it was before yo suggested renaming it to pydotorg, if I remember correctly (which I admit I may not).

>  - pydotorg@ is closed and renamed, new pydotorg is created, which
>    becomes open (public) point of contact with public list of subscribers (with
>    admin/activity/committer to project marks), searchable archives and link to
>    web interfaces for posting (nabble or Mailman3)

>  - infrastructure@ is the list where all sensitive information is
> handled - closed

Of course.

>    or open - depends on admins professionalism, who do not rely on security
>    by obscurity schemes

I doubt the infrastructure admins would be happy sharing architectural information with people they were not intimately professionally and sometimes personally known to them.

>  - security@ is the list to accept mail from lurking hackers, as usual
>
> If that goes well, I promise to give a further boon to resolve user experience
> problems for new contributors, and I guess that we need some fresh blood who
> knows about HTML5, Angular, d3 and all that fancy CSS generators that are
> extensively used by Ruby folks.
>
> That's is deadly wrong that we don't have an inclusive playground for new
> talents and instead of learning new things and adapting out habits, force them
> to use our old and often very awkward practices.

The web site is an open source project. It isn't the sense of what's needed that's absent, it's a busy crew of volunteers swarming all over the site code (including HTNML and CSS) making it better. It's an active team of developers anxious to make python.org the best open source language web site in the world. Without that, little else is going to help.

Given the lack of response to my post, what difference do you think these changes would make?