[pydotorg-www] web frameworks page feedback

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sun Dec 21 00:14:01 CET 2014

Hi there,

[I'm not sure where discussion about the wiki content should go,
perhaps not here, in which I apologize. please skip to read the
bottom]

I noticed a recent change to the
https://wiki.python.org/moin/WebFrameworks that moved Grok (I
framework I helped found) down from the popular frameworks. I agree
with that move; it's not been popular for a while now and was never as
popular as, say, Pyramid or Flask are now.

Here are some concerns I have with the current page:

* Frameworks that I consider are big and get a lot of attention such
as Flask and Pyramid do not come under any "popular" heading. But they
are very popular, and right now they're ranked with obscure things
like BlueBream or Aquarium. I don't think this reflects the state of
the Python community. If you're going to do popularity stuff at all,
why not list some of the popular non-full stack frameworks?

* Why are some frameworks in a table format (which gives them more
attention, I think) and some not? I can see doing so for popular
frameworks, but why do it for some other full stack frameworks and
some not?

* A framework like wheezy.web is considered "full stack" and is
highlighted in a table as such. I appreciate wheezy.web, but I really
think this is unfair to frameworks like Pyramid and Flask, which offer
more or less the same facilities. You can argue they offer some of
them through extensions, but so does wheezy.web. If you're going to
say wheezy.web is full stack, then so are Pyramid and Flask.

For a traditional Python full-stack framework I'd look for something
like tight database integration and a form generation system, like
Django has, or Grok has. wheezy.web is far more "roll your own". (For
a more modern full-stack framework a lot of it might be done
client-side instead)

Finally, I'm the developer of a non-big non-full-stack framework
called Morepath. I'd like to see it added to the page somewhere too.
(http://morepath.readthedocs.org).

If someone gives me editor access I can see about making some edits
myself, but I'd be happy if someone else took care of these concerns
too.

My account name is MartijnFaassen

Regards,

Martijn