[pydotorg-www] web frameworks page feedback

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sun Dec 21 12:00:30 CET 2014

On 21.12.2014 00:14, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> [I'm not sure where discussion about the wiki content should go,
> perhaps not here, in which I apologize. please skip to read the
> bottom]
>
> I noticed a recent change to the
> https://wiki.python.org/moin/WebFrameworks that moved Grok (I
> framework I helped found) down from the popular frameworks. I agree
> with that move; it's not been popular for a while now and was never as
> popular as, say, Pyramid or Flask are now.
>
> Here are some concerns I have with the current page:
>
> * Frameworks that I consider are big and get a lot of attention such
> as Flask and Pyramid do not come under any "popular" heading. But they
> are very popular, and right now they're ranked with obscure things
> like BlueBream or Aquarium. I don't think this reflects the state of
> the Python community. If you're going to do popularity stuff at all,
> why not list some of the popular non-full stack frameworks?
>
> * Why are some frameworks in a table format (which gives them more
> attention, I think) and some not? I can see doing so for popular
> frameworks, but why do it for some other full stack frameworks and
> some not?
>
> * A framework like wheezy.web is considered "full stack" and is
> highlighted in a table as such. I appreciate wheezy.web, but I really
> think this is unfair to frameworks like Pyramid and Flask, which offer
> more or less the same facilities. You can argue they offer some of
> them through extensions, but so does wheezy.web. If you're going to
> say wheezy.web is full stack, then so are Pyramid and Flask.
>
> For a traditional Python full-stack framework I'd look for something
> like tight database integration and a form generation system, like
> Django has, or Grok has. wheezy.web is far more "roll your own". (For
> a more modern full-stack framework a lot of it might be done
> client-side instead)
>
> Finally, I'm the developer of a non-big non-full-stack framework
> called Morepath. I'd like to see it added to the page somewhere too.
> (http://morepath.readthedocs.org).
>
> If someone gives me editor access I can see about making some edits
> myself, but I'd be happy if someone else took care of these concerns
> too.
>
> My account name is MartijnFaassen

I've added you to the editors. Happy editing !

Regarding this particular page, please have a look at the editorial
notes at the end of the page.

IMO, the table format makes the page look nicer, but someone should
then reorg all entries into this format.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Dec 21 2014)
2014-12-11: Released mxODBC Plone/Zope DA 2.2.0   http://egenix.com/go67

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/