[pydotorg-www] Help with mailing lists?

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Tue Dec 23 13:56:41 CET 2014

On 12/23/14 6:55 AM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> On 23.12.2014 11:56, Ned Batchelder wrote:
>> Sorry if this is the wrong list to write to. You'll see why I'm here in just a minute.
>>
>> I needed some help with some mail lists at mail.python.org: I need a password reminder, but never
>> got one, and I have some questions about creating a new list.
> Did you request this via the Mailman interface ? Perhaps it
> got eaten by a spam filter.
>
> Note that some MLs on python.org have the monthly reminders turned
> off, so for those you need to request the reminder via the Mailman
> list interface.
Yes, I requested it with the button on the page.  Nothing in the gmail
spam filter.

>> The page at http://mail.python.org says, "If you are having trouble using the lists, please contact
>> mailman at python.org <mailto:mailman at python.org>," so I sent my questions there.
>>
>> I got an automated response email that said that no one will answer, and to write to
>> postmaster at python.org.  I forwarded my questions there.
>>
>> I got an automated response email in German that said to send requests to postmaster at charite.de. So
>> I forwarded my questions there.
>>
>> I got an automated response email (in German and English!) that said, "Thank you for your email.
>> We'll work on email issues right away, all other issues will be ignored."  I don't know if my
>> questions are considered email issues or not, so I don't know how long to wait before trying
>> something else.
>>
>> What should I do now?  Any ideas who I can contact? Things seem broken on a number of levels.
> postmaster at python.org should be able to help you with ML issues.
As I mentioned above, I sent an email to postmaster at python.org, and got
a German reply that led me down a fruitless path.

> That said, it's holiday season now, so don't you can't really expect
> the usual prompt reaction times of our postmasters :-)

:-(  The automated responses that are the email equivalent of >/dev/null
are very prompt! :-(

--Ned.