[pydotorg-www] Implementing a personal standard library

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 11:23:24 CET 2014

There is also a related initiative to split standard library into pieces.
https://bitbucket.org/techtonik/python-stdlib

So that you can have bugs per module, feedback per module,
discussions per module and teams organized per module. As well
as votes per module and all kind of various metrics including the
quality ratio and feedback whenever the module should be
refactored, deprecated, replaced or removed from standard library.

In the long term space exploration program every module could also
accumulate stories of usage (both good and bad) and scenarios
(planned usage workflow), which will provide essential source data
for reengineering efforts. So far no funding had been secured to go
on with this plan.

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 5:51 PM, Richard Prosser
<richard.prosser at mail.com> wrote:
> Thanks - that's what I was looking for, though I think that the issue should
> be given higher priority, somehow.
>
> Richard
>

> On 24 January 2014 20:50, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 24.01.2014 21:19, Richard Prosser wrote:
>> > IMO, the Standard Library is overblown and outdated, so users may wish
>> > implement their own. This may be the subject of a PEP beyond the one
>> > (411)
>> > mentioned in the post below.
>> >
>> > This "Dead Batteries
>> >
>> > Included"<http://programming.oreilly.com/2013/10/dead-batteries-included.html>blog
>> > post suggests a way of doing that - a pip
>> > requirements file - but I am reluctant to link to that particular page,
>> > if
>> > only because there are no detailed instructions supplied. I am also
>> > unsure
>> > where to place it, or the equivalent text.
>> >
>> > Do you have any suggestions, please? Perhaps there should be a
>> > "Practical
>> > Python" section or the like.
>>
>> You might want to have a look at this page:
>>
>> https://wiki.python.org/moin/CodingProjectIdeas/StandardLibrary
>>
>> --
>> Marc-Andre Lemburg
>> eGenix.com
>>
>> Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 24 2014)
>>
>> ::::: Try our mxODBC.Connect Python Database Interface for free ! ::::::
>>
>>    eGenix.com Software, Skills and Services GmbH  Pastor-Loeh-Str.48
>>     D-40764 Langenfeld, Germany. CEO Dipl.-Math. Marc-Andre Lemburg
>>            Registered at Amtsgericht Duesseldorf: HRB 46611
>>                http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/

anatoly t.