[pydotorg-www] Vandalism/spam on wiki.python.org: changes to default permissions

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Jun 2 15:01:33 CEST 2014

On 01.06.2014 05:48, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On May 31, 2014, at 10:49 PM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>> I've added a new user group called NewUsersGroup, which does
>> get editing rights, but we'll have to manage this manually and
>> new users who want to receive editing rights will have to write
>> to this mailing list to be added to the group.
>
> TBH, we've been doing this on the Mailman wiki for years now.  Of course, we
> don't have as high a contributor rate as the Python wiki, and I wish I didn't
> have to take that step, but it *has* reduced the spam rate to nearly zero.
> I'm sure there's been a cost in drive-by contributions, but we do get
> occasional requests for write permissions and it's trivial to add folks to the
> "editors" group.

Thanks for the experience report. I guess I'll rename the group
to EditorsGroup today, that's a better fit than NewUsersGroup.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 02 2014)
2014-05-28: Released mxODBC.Connect 2.1.0 ...     http://egenix.com/go56
2014-07-02: Python Meeting Duesseldorf ...                 30 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/