[pydotorg-www] Do not recommend Learn Python The Hard Way to new programmers in the wiki

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Sep 11 22:43:14 CEST 2015

On 11.09.2015 22:14, Antti Haapala wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> The wiki page at
> https://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers quite
> prominently recommends Learn Python The Hard Way as a newbie friendly
> material. However, despite being in edition 3 already, I found the
> book being of questionable quality, and not really good learning
> materials for anyone.
>
> If you're not familiar with this book, just go to
> http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/ex0.html and read the text
> around mentions of "Python 3" on the page to sample the author's tone
> throughout the book.
>
> We at Stack Overflow Python chat compiled a non-exhaustive list of
> complaints after a short glimpse; the complaints list is available at
> http://sopython.com/wiki/LPTHW_Complaints . We have also noticed that
> out of all books available there, the LPTHW raises most questions on
> Stack Overflow, and confuses newcomers. Yet, one reason why it is
> popular among the newcomers is that it is mentioned in the official
> Python Wiki as being a good resource for non-programmers.
>
> Actually I'd want the whole mention be removed, but I do not have wiki
> editing rights.

If you can give us your wiki account name, we can make you an editor.

Regarding the book, you are making some good points. I would always
recommend "Learning Python" by Mark Lutz to newbies. I wonder why
that book is not listed.

The books listed on the wiki don't necessarily have to be all
freely available.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 11 2015)
>>> mxODBC Plone/Zope Database Adapter ...       http://zope.egenix.com/
2015-09-18: PyCon UK 2015 ...                               7 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/