[pydotorg-www] Please add me in edit group.

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Apr 14 13:38:46 EDT 2016

On 14.04.2016 19:23, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 3:07 AM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

>>> Yep. If in doubt, do what the banks do, and pretend that the
>>> bureaucracy is so important that we absolutely HAVE to have more proof
>>> of ID before you can open a depositing account. (No, I'm not jaded or
>>> anything. Banks are fine. Nothing wrong with their policies.)
>>
>> I'm not sure I parse your email correctly.
>>
>> The lesson here is that even with this much less anonymous
>> approach to getting editing rights compared to textchas,
>> we do run into people who openly betray our trust in them.
>
> I mean this:
>
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 5:11 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We normally like to hear of a proposed edit that you intend to make
>> (it's a good way to distinguish genuine contributors from bots that
>> just want to spam the site), but I've gone ahead and made you an
>> editor.
>
> I was in two minds - do I ask for more proof that there'll be legit
> edits, or keep the turnaround time low to encourage edits? And clearly
> I made the wrong choice this time. Stuff happens.

I'd say: keep going with the same approach. The signal/noise
ratio has been excellent so far :-)

If we get more such cases, we can still start requiring
a description of the intended edit. Most legit users
do send this already, so it would probably not increase
the turnaround time.

>> Don't let this get you down, though, Chris.
>> You're doing an excellent job !
>> Please keep up the good work.
>>
>> It's easy enough to fix such vandalism and so far, I think
>> the approach is working out much better than anything we've
>> had before.
>
> Thanks. I know of just one other time an editor has been de-authorized
> since the change to this system; even if there are as many again that
> I'm not aware of, that's still an excellent ratio.

Indeed.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Apr 14 2016)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/