[pydotorg-www] Wiki page documenting running standard modules as scripts

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Jan 13 11:43:48 EST 2016

On 13.01.2016 17:21, Alan Evangelista wrote:
> On 01/13/2016 02:15 PM, John Whitlock wrote:
>> I've found that experienced Python developers are unaware that some standard modules can be run as
>> scripts (...) I find these useful every few months, but they are also hard to discover.
>
> What is the usefulness of running a standard Python module as a script?

Many modules provide command line interface or simply run tests
when invoked as a script.

Some examples:

python -m pydoc
python -m profile
python -m platform
python -m dis
python -m gzip
python -m base64

(the last three read from stdin :-))

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Jan 13 2016)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/