[pydotorg-www] Explaining python.org site for new contributors

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 06:29:55 EDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 11:19 AM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at python.org> wrote:
> Anatoly,
>
> in case you *still* haven't realized it, we are not interested
> in *your* "contributions" or "discussion input", since they are
> not helpful and only result in our productive contributors
> wasting time on having to read your comments, close tickets,
> etc.

Looks like a crisis from here. Contributors base that doesn't
have any people who can talk. Why do you think the contributor's
base is not growing?

Maybe *I am* that reason? I have the power to butcher any
positive or good idea that could attract people, I have a plenty of
time for discussions. I have dark powers over Python community
and corrupted your souls long ago so that you've became the
infected agents with a mission to put an end to the glorious
march of Python over the World. Suffering from responsibility and
longing for a sun, you can not abandon your quest. I hope you
did't take all that stuff seriously. But there might be some truth.

This list dedicated to web site development has no website
related traffic since the start of this year. It is not normal for such
supposedly high traffic site as python.org, because there are
always people who learn Django and Python and want to see
some good existing codebase. People here could have a
chance to discuss this and improve the situation, but it won't
happen, because I touched the idea, so it is doomed.

> Please stop your annoying quest.

Quests I am interested in usually solve systemic problems. The
conflict usually arise when people don't get it. If you know
somebody how can discuss this without touching people who
directly day to day are part of that problems - I will be interested
to learn from them and put this in practice.

So maybe inviting me to join PSF is a better way to resolve the
problem than giving me commit rights to pythondotorg
repository. If I am part of the PSF, then I will have to blame
myself then, right?

Let's get to example of non-systemic construcrivism so that
people who used to deal with this kind of tasks, could also
find this thread useful. This is a problem I was trying to solve:

https://github.com/python/pythondotorg/issues/731#issuecomment-198965059

The designer can not test his branch anymore.

My attempt to setup development environment resulted in
a few errors and a few tickets like the one that python.org
doesn't work with latest Python stable:
https://github.com/python/pythondotorg/issues/906
It was annoying to waste time trying to run the site with
latest Python version, and dealing with non-obvious stack
traces, but how it was addressed after issue appeared?

"Anatoly, please stop opening tickets for feature requests.
You are using up time of our volunteer contributors, with no
real benefit for anyone."

This is the message that is officially sent to public - that
opening tickets and feature requests are wasting time of
contributors. This is the offical "moderator action" - because
who would think that the official member is closing issue on
the ground that issue submitter is a not a proper quality
person to be a contributor? Python has a diversity statement,
so what's wrong with that particular message from
"Anatoly"?

> Thanks,
> --
> Marc-Andre Lemburg
> Director
> Python Software Foundation (PSF)
> http://www.python.org/psf/

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself
does not become a monster..." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

P.S. Actually the only reason why I have so much free time is
because I don't have a job - nobody needs those invalid
people who can't write any code, blame everybody around and
just waste everybody's time, so economy will take care of me
soon and Python community will be able to breathe freely
again. Just don't put any more landmines there.

--
anatoly t.