[pydotorg-www] Steering search engines and users away from 3.0/3.1 docs?

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 08:39:54 EDT 2016

Tweaking robots.txt seems like the simplest route. It would be nice if
/3.[01]/index.html where visible through search engines but not anything
underneath. I don't recall if robots.txt is a sharp enough tool to make
that distinction.

Following my original thought a bit further, I wondered how far down in the
search results the mainline /3/ docs would be, so I modified my search to
"python timeit site:docs.python.org". The answer for me, at least, seems to
be, "almost not on the front page." In fact, the 2.5 timeit reference is
right after the 3.0 reference. 3.1 is a bit further down, then the v3
version of the quick stdlib tour is the last hit on page one.

If someone's going to mess with robots.txt, maybe cast the same spell for
2.[0-5] (and 6?) as you do for 3.0 and 3.1.

Skip