[pydotorg-www] Removing/disabling inactive users from wiki.python.org

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Nov 8 10:18:24 EST 2016

Hello,

I have just upgraded the moin package on wiki.python.org to 1.9.9.
As part of this, we now have a new maintenance command to disable
or remove inactive users.

According to the tool inactive users are users who have never
edited a page on the wiki.

For wikis such as the PSF one, people do need a login to see some
of the pages, and editing is not necessarily done by everyone.

On the main wiki, I'm not aware of pages which are protected by
ACLs to require login to see (only to edit).

For Jython, I don't know at all, so won't touch this.

Since we currently have more than 88k user records for the Python
wiki, but only 4k active users, I'd like to experiment this command,
even though it's dangerous.

My feeling is that the slowness of the wiki is largely caused by
the many user records we have. Moin appears to these for subscriptions
when making edits to pages.

We have three options:
1. leave everything as is
2. disable all but the 4k active users who have made edits
3. remove all but the 4k active users who have made edits

Of course, we'd run a backup before applying any of this,
to be able to revert in case people complain.

Thoughts ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Nov 08 2016)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/