[pydotorg-www] Bug in code example on wiki page about BitManipulation

Felix Widmaier felix.widmaier at web.de
Thu Sep 1 11:06:07 EDT 2016

Ah, I remember reading that as well.  I did not think about it anymore,
since it works for me even with defining _fields_ first.  Nonetheless I
agree that it would be better to fix this in the example as well (maybe
it is an platform dependent thing?).

I can take care of it. I just created an account with username
"FelixWidmaier".

Best, Felix

Am 01/09/2016 um 16:37 schrieb Mats Wichmann:
> On 09/01/2016 02:39 AM, Felix Widmaier wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just noticed a small bug in the code example for bit fields on this
>> page: https://wiki.python.org/moin/BitManipulation
>>
>> There is a ctypes.Union defined as follows:
>>
>>     class Flags( ctypes.Union ):
>>         _fields_ = [
>>                     ("b",      Flags_bits ),
>>                     ("asByte", c_uint8    )
>>                    ]
>>         _anonymous_ = ("b")
>>
>> However, the `_anonymous_` attribute should be a tuple, i.e. the
>> following would be correct:
>>
>>     _anonymous_ = ("b",)
>>
>> I guess in the given example it works without the comma since the name
>> "b" consists of only one character and therefore "b"[0] == ("b",)[0] but
>> for names with more than one char it does not work like this.
>>
>> It would be great if someone with permission to edit the page could fix
>> this (I don't have an account and I think it would not be worth the
>> effort to create one for such a tiny edit).
>
> hmmm, not only are you right about that, but according to the
> documentation, "_anonymous_ must be already defined when _fields_ is
> assigned, otherwise it will have no effect"  so there seems to be an
> additional problem in the example.
>
> perhaps you could file an issue in the tracker, if you don't want to get
> an account and fix it yourself (we would give you edit permission)
>
> https://github.com/python/pythondotorg
>
> thanks!

---