[pydotorg-www] request edit home page on python wiki - anti-robot

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Mon Jun 26 19:04:42 EDT 2017

On 06/26/2017 04:51 PM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

>>> We have no plans changing the policy. Of all strategies we've
>>> tried, this is by far the most successful one.
>>

>> The most successful one in making the pywiki a LOW-QUALITY wiki, indeed.
>>
>> Keep up the good work!   ;-)
>
> Fox, or whatever your name is: Thank you for your support, but
> I think we're better off not making you an editor today.
>
> How about you cool off a bit, show some respect for our work
> and add some examples of useful edits you want to apply ?

I'll add two bits here ("two bits" being an Americanism for what once
was, but no longer is a particularly valuable coin) that:

- the wiki was clearly worse quality when edits were not slightly
restricted, because pages kept getting splattered with auto-added debris
full of links some might call unsavory and nobody would argue were "off
topic"

- "dead links" has been a bit of a sensitive topic, as many times people
reporting them have submitted alternatives which point to a site which
accrue some financial benefit to the reporter rather than really
providing a true open alternative.

- ranting at and offending the maintainers usually has an effect... just
consider your own reaction if the roles were reversed.

As MAL says... make a couple of more specific proposals, and we'll see.