[pydotorg-www] Permission to edit PythonBooks wiki page

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Sat Nov 11 17:09:27 EST 2017

On 11/11/2017 07:28 AM, dibya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Dibya and I created and maintain https://pythonbooks.org/. It
> features a categorized and ranked list of Python books. The site is updated
> every month to include newly published books and reflect new rankings. You
> can see the discussion about the site on reddit
> <https://www.reddit.com/r/Python/comments/6l7946/pythonbooks_find_the_best_python_books/>,
> another discussion on reddit
> <https://www.reddit.com/r/Python/comments/6n9kbj/100_python_books_categorized_and_ranked/>
> and on HN <https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14769317>.
>
> The Wiki page PythonBooks provided inspiration for making this site. I
> noticed that the lists featured in the wiki are ordered by publication
> date. I thought users might benefit from popularity based ranking as this
> helps to quickly find the best books. I implemented this in
> https://pythonbooks.org/. Also a lot of work was put in to categorize
> Python books on specializations (ML, GUI etc) and the website currently has
> 23 categories in total (still growing).
>
> I have received emails from Python users around the world who have
> benefited from the site's ranking and categorization. However, while the
> popularity of the website on reddit and HN has given it a strong start, I
> believe that there are still a lot of people who don't know about it.
>
> Since the PythonBooks wiki is the gateway for a lot of people for finding
> Python books, I thought that a link to the website on the PythonBooks wiki
> page might give the website the required exposure and help users who are
> looking to find popular Python books in different categories.
>
> Please take a look at the site. If you think that the website fulfills your
> standards, I would like to ask for permission to edit the PythonBooks wiki
> page such that I can add the link in the section "External sources of
> information".
>
> My username on the Python Wiki is DibyaChakravorty.
>
> I remain grateful and committed to the Python language and community.

It's an interesting topic.  We've had "ordering wars" with some pages
like books, where people come and put theirs first, then someone else
edits and moves theirs first.

Personally, I like the idea of ranking, but I don't like the idea of
using a "Bestseller Rank" for it - I presume this means Amazon?  Not all
books make it out to the world via Amazon. And sales volume may depend
more on better promotion than better quality.  Any thoughts of switching
to a ranking system which depends on user voting instead (not that that
isn't subject to abuse).

As to whether your page could be listed on the python wiki... I'll wait
a little bit and see if the other webmasters have an opinion.  Seems
like there's a place for something like that in the "External sources"
section.