[pydotorg-www] Editing permissions for IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments for AndrewJanke

Andrew Janke andrew at apjanke.net
Fri Jun 1 22:18:46 EDT 2018

On 5/27/18 10:25 AM, Mats Wichmann wrote:
> On 05/26/2018 12:22 PM, Andrew Janke wrote:
>> Good to go. I was able to edit the page. Thanks!
>>
>> Andrew
>>
> Thanks for taking this on... someone motivated to pick a an IDE is the
> perfect candidate to update the tables.  You even inspired me to make a
> few more changes!
>
> While we're here, there are links to a number of articles that compare
> IDEs.  In this modern world, there appear to be an infinite number of
> "ten best" type articles, as, sadly, people have learned how effective
> they are as clickbait, so I'm not sure how to refresh this list, but I'm
> thinking that we should drop the older articles. The ones from 2000,
> 2005, even 2008 seem unlikely to be very applicable, as all of the
> surviving IDEs have evolved, and some (BlackAdder?) don't seem to have
> survived.  Any objections if I kill a few?  Andrew - if you found any
> useful comparsion article, please feel free to add, I'm just thinking we
> shouldn't add the dozens, maybe hundreds, of such comparisons that pop
> up if you ask a search engine.
>
> -- mats

That makes sense.

I have no useful comparison articles to add. I think one can smell the
difference between original content and a "ten best" clickbait listicle,
and all the decent original-content comparison articles I've found are
already in this Wiki entry. (E.g. this one that you have linked is a
really good one:
https://xcorr.net/2013/04/17/evaluating-ides-for-scientific-python/)
Which is kind of sad because the last comparo article is from 2013.

At any rate, I also agree with not adding all the content-farm junk that
one finds in Google.

IMHO, as far as old links on this article go, I'd say remove the link
that's for WingIDE specifically, but actually keep all the rest, even
the ones as old as 2000: those are good, content-deep articles, are of
historical interest, serve as examples of how to compare IDEs, and given
how slowly the Python IDE ecosystem seems to be evolving, are still
relevant. I found them all useful in my current efforts to learn about
Python IDEs. And some of these articles don't surface in a Google search
for "Python IDEs"; they're buried in "ten best" clickbait, so I think
it's still useful to have them collected in a list.

Cheers,
Andrew