[pydotorg-www] Request to edit wiki page

Giles Thomas giles at pythonanywhere.com
Fri Sep 21 14:48:06 EDT 2018

On 21/09/18 17:35, Mats Wichmann wrote:
> On 09/21/2018 09:54 AM, Giles Thomas wrote:
>
>>> Gah, this area is a bit confused.
>>>
>>> So we have a page FreeHosts, a page NonCommercialHosting, a page
>>> OtherCommercialHosts, and a page SpecializedCommercialHosts. All of them
>>> end with a reference to PythonHosting, a page which does not exist.
>>>
>>> As a bit of cleanup I'd like at least to remove the link to
>>> PythonHosting, unless that's something we should resurrect from whatever
>>> dumpster it went into, and add an introductory line to those of the four
>>> that don't have one giving the definition of the category (specialized
>>> and non-commercial have one, free and other-commercial don't).
>>>
>>> Or... we could do something different....  anyone else who wants to dive
>>> in, please do.
>> I'd love to dive in and help, but as someone with very much of a vested
>> interest in what those pages look like, I probably am not the right
>> person to do that.
>>
>> That said, something else I've noticed is that there appear to be a
>> number of dead links.
>> I'd be happy to sort the above out if it's OK with you.
> please!  any help welcome!
>
> (Steve Holden says glowing things so we trust you anyway  :))

That's very kind of him :-)   I've removed the ones that go to domain
registrar holding pages, don't have IPs, or have error tracebacks on the
front page.   I haven't fixed the ones where the specific link on the
wiki is a 404; in each case where that happened, there was a link on the
404 page that took me to a front page that was clearly for a hosting
company of some kind.

> I've restored the PythonHosting page from the internet archive with just
> minimal formatting, so that link should work again now.

I spotted that the link to "Specialized Commercial Hosts" had an extra
"]" in the URL, so I've fixed that too.

All the best,

Giles

--
Giles Thomas <giles at pythonanywhere.com>

PythonAnywhere: Develop and host Python from your browser
<https://www.pythonanywhere.com/>

A product from PythonAnywhere LLP
17a Clerkenwell Road, London EC1M 5RD, UK
VAT No.: GB 893 5643 79
Registered in England and Wales as company number OC378414.
Registered address: 28 Ely Place, 3rd Floor, London EC1N 6TD, UK