[pydotorg-www] UBY, BUG: Responsive wiki templates, ENH: MoinMoin git storage, DOC: Guidelines for citations, ENH: Custom search engine?

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 10:39:22 EST 2019

The psf infrastructure team may have something to say about whether
upgrading moinmoin is a priority.

Creating a local instance for theme development should be pretty easy.

https://github.com/python/psf-salt/blob/master/salt/moin/init.sls

The first search result for "moinmoin responsive" appears to be based on
Bootstrap 3.2.0 from circa 5 years ago:

https://github.com/dossist/moinmoin-memodump

Bootstrap v3.3.7 is the latest 3.x, for which there are many free and paid
themes. That's a pretty much just a drop-in upgrade.

https://getbootstrap.com/docs/3.3/

Would it be as simple as adding the logo SVG and links to the sidebar?

That Makefile I shared pushes to the master and wiki branches (and then
pushes the built HTML to the gh-pages branch). Pull requests against the
master branch could easily be merged to the restricted wiki branch
automatically or with severely diligent human review. Though, I'm sure
there are a number of folks who would be hesitant to abandon moinmoin
maintenance by converting from moin syntax to RestructuredText (or
Markdown) with moin2rst or pandoc and just hosting with e.g. ReadTheDocs.

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/19

Not a high priority for me personally, but there's definitely knowledge
that's not being captured to the wiki that could help everyone.