[pydotorg-www] wiki: unicode decode error

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Wed Nov 27 10:46:52 EST 2019

if someone feels like putting in some wiki time.... this page:

https://wiki.python.org/moin/UnicodeDecodeError

is a prominent hit in search engines.  It's written from a Python 2
perspective, with just a single line down at the bottom saying "Python
3000 will prohibit encoding of bytes...".

That message has become the bane of both people rushing to do Py3
conversions, and new programmers, who read from files, sockets,
processes, etc. and don't notice/realize they're getting bytes.

sure could use a helpful treatment for today's reality...

at the moment I can't put in the time to figure out how to explain
strings, bytes, unicode in Py3, but I know there are other resources
that do so quite well, I wonder if a pointer to a few would be a
starting point?