[pydotorg-www] Bug multiprocessing.Process Python 3.8.2 Shell

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Sat Apr 11 09:52:27 EDT 2020

On 4/11/20 4:37 AM, Gerhard Tröster wrote:

> the Python Shell 3.8.2 (both the 32 and 64 Bit version) does not execute
> the multiprocessing.Process  instruction, and outputs
>
> = RESTART: C:\Users\gerhartr\Desktop\Python\Concurrent\Multiprocessing\python1.py
> Done!
>>>>>

> Using the cmd python.exe command,  the correct output
Gerhard,

This isn't the right place for this question, you may want to hunt
around on the Internet for better places. StackOverflow might be a place
you could get more detailed answers.

It seems like you're referring to IDLE when you say "the Python Shell"
above. And indeed if I paste your code into IDLE, I see the behavior you
mention.  There's a reason for it that has to do with the design of
IDLE, it's not actually that it's not working, but that when using
multiprocessing (which forks) the output ends up not able to make it
back to the shell window any longer (the socket is not duplicated).

Just to clear up any doubt, IDLE is not Python, although it comes with
Python and is written in Python.  You might want to try a different
development environment if this behavior is problematic for you, though
it seems you already have a workaround: run the code directly from a shell.