[pydotorg-www] Issues with wiki authentication

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Thu Jan 16 11:47:15 EST 2020

On 1/16/20 9:39 AM, Henry Harutyunyan wrote:
> Hi there.
>

> I'm having problems with logging in and signing up in the
> wiki.python.org. I've encountered the problem yesterday so I don't think
> that the issue is temporal and it probably needs your attention. I get
> timeout error.
>
> I want to open an account so I can make some modifications in the
> Python2orPython3 <https://wiki.python.org/moin/Python2orPython3> article.
>
> Looking forward to hearing from you.

It's a pesky and relatively long-standing problem, and nobody seems to
be able to do much about it. Once somebody's access is failing, it seems
to keep failing.  We think it has to do with load on the VM the wiki is
running in (externally generated load - bots pounding on it trying to
break in, not load from people actually editing the wiki) but I'm
becoming less convinced that's enough to explain why it works for some
people all the time and never works for some other people.

Anybody else here have any current best practices for getting in? Is
there something one can clear, etc?

By the way, not sure what further edits that page needs, the original
contents were moved out to an archive location and it's pretty much a
stub that says this isn't really a question any more.