[Pygui] Listbox? Scrollbars? Text Widget?

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Apr 29 05:27:16 CEST 2011

David Cortesi wrote:

> 1. The listbox (a/o combobox)
> 3. contextual ('pop-up') menus?

These are on the list, no particular priority.

> 2. The textedit class appears to be quite basic in comparison to the
> tk/tkinter text widget which has, e.g., multiple fonts, format tags,
> marked locations, undo-redo stacks, search, support for embedded
> graphics and widgets.

I hope to provide something richer at some point, but as
yet I have no clear idea of what the API should be like.
The facilities provided by the three platforms in this
area differ considerably.

A particular stumbling block is that the Windows rich
edit control only allows one view of each text buffer,
which doesn't fit well into PyGUI's model-view paradigm.
This is one of the limitations I'm hoping to be able
to escape by making use of .NET libraries.

> 4. Looking at the tkinter implementation of scrolling, it makes
> horizontal and vertical scrollbars separate widgets
>
> In PyGui scrollbars appear to be implicit and managed entirely by the
> scrolled item

I've deliberately tried to keep the API for scrolling
very abstract and high-level, because the details differ
quite a lot between platforms. On Windows, for example,
the most straightforward way to implement scrolling does
not result in the scroll bars being exposed as distinct
objects.

> But -- what happens when other scrollable widgets are added, e.g. the
> listbox? (Or, would every scrollable item be a child of scrollable
> view...?)

Not ScrollableView itself -- that's for user-defined views -- but
they will provide their own scroll bars and have a similar API.
(Probably I'll factor out the scrolling-related parts of
ScrollableView's interface into another abstract class.)

--
Greg