[Pygui] PyGUI Mailing List?

Mark Melvin mark.melvin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 03:09:29 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz>wrote:

> Mark Melvin wrote:
>
>  1) I was wondering if anyone has done any work to create the equivalent of
>> a combo box or list box
>>

> Not that I know of. This seems to be a Frequently Requested Feature
> though, so I'll try to do something about it soon.
>

>  2) I am having trouble with Menus.  I would like to get rid of the main
>> system menus so I have set the main application "menus" property to an empty
>> list.  This works to get rid of the main menus, but when I assign a new menu
>> list to either the application or my main window, I see the menu item, and
>> the key bindings seem to work, but clicking on the menu does not call the
>> method.
>>

> Hard to tell what's going on there. If you can send me an example I'll
> try to find out what's wrong.
>

>   And I can't seem to figure out how to exit the application
>> programmatically.  If I override the application's menus property, the
>> "quit_cmd" doesn't seem to work anymore.
>>

> I don't know about that one either. Calling the application's quit_cmd()
> method directly should work regardless of the condition of the menus.
>

>  3) I am having trouble py2exe'ing my application.  We a bare-bones
>> setup.py, my resulting .exe will not run because it fails to locate
>> GUI.Resources.  I ended up adding "packages" : ["GUI"] to my py2exe options,
>>

> Yes, you have to do that at the moment, sorry, because py2exe can't
> follow the dynamic way that PyGUI locates its platform-dependent
> modules. I'm thinking about ways to improve the situation, but it's
> not easy.
>

>  now when I run it I get an exception dialog from the Microsoft Visual C++
>> runtime saying that the application requested the Runtime to terminate in an
>> unusual way.
>>

> Not sure what that means. Sounds like there might be a bug in pywin32
> or some other dll. It doesn't sound like the sort of thing you should
> be able to provoke by a mistake in Python coding. Can you find out
> anything about how far it's getting before crashing?
>
> --
> Greg

Hi Greg,

By the way - I am on Windows XP. ;)

I found the answer to the py2exe problem.  It turns out the pythoncom dlls
can't be bundled in the EXE.  Unbundling them works around the crash.

In terms of the menu issue - attached is a small example showing the issues
I am seeing.  Notice how the mouse does not fire the menu action, but the
keybinding does.  Also - how would you recommend to properly exit the
application from the new File > Exit menu item?

Thanks!
Mark.