[Pygui] Possible future direction for PyGUI on Win32

Vernon Cole vernondcole at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 16:26:06 CET 2011

Greg: almost all Windows machines already have a .NET runtime installed.  I
have not seen one in years that did not. I don't think there would  be any
problem with expecting it.  One thing to check on would be startup speed.
Pure CLI programs are notoriously slow to bring up the first screen.

 The other advantage to doing this is ease of porting the package to
IronPython. This is not a small thing, since the MONO runtime also works on
several portable devices (android and iphone) it would potentially bring
PyGUI to portable platforms.  I had never looked at pythonnet until your
message, but I have to say it looks good.  The installation is clunky, but
that could be fixed by cloning the code, if worst came to worst. I expect it
will get better with time.
--
Vernon

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Gregory Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz