[PyLadies-BLR] [rfc] openspace for PyLadies-BLR at PyCon-IN

Annapoornima Koppad a.koppad at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 17:01:51 CEST 2013

Dear Kavita,

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 7:48 PM, Kavita Arora <kklindor21 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes all - CIS is fine for me!!! I practically visit CIS every weekend for
> some event or another! It was Anu who stated that there were a few members
> on this list who preferred not to travel! Hence the "flexibility" to meet
> in different areas.
>
> I did say traveling was difficult. But then I was OK with meeting you at
CIS.

> To be honest, I now feel a bit hesitant to attend these meetups just
> because I feel perhaps this forum and the main drivers are not very open to
> suggestions. I never stated I explicitly wanted to induce a classroom
> atmosphere! I only meant to suggest that we hold a theme or focus our
> meetups around a particular set of ideas so that we gained from the
> experience -- I've been to a lot of hackathons (organized some myself) and
> realized that most of them lacked that community feel because they had no
> agenda, no direction and no creativity applied. Hence my hesitation against
> "simply meeting up and sitting and coding".
>
> I believe as a community we need to learn from each other. The only way we
can achieve anything is by appreciating each others efforts. And trying to
work together. You are still welcome to be a part of Pyladies Bangalore.
You will always be. You are free to express your opinions and your opinions
will be considered by Pyladies Bangalore. Acting upon them will be at the
discretion of all the members. A consensus will be taken amongst all the
members.

> I guess I speak for myself, but I'm just a beginner trying to find my way
> in the world of python, and I thought this was a community for ppl like me
> who want to come forward, learn new things, and in turn teach new things to
> people who are also trying to grasp the language. I feel perhaps this forum
> or group is a tad too advanced - and it might be a burden on the forum to
> support ppl like me! I don't want to impose on anyone - so I guess until
> you guys are more open to accepting a more diverse group of women -- I
> think I may perhaps bow out for the time being and let you guys get on! I
> don't mean to be rude - I just don't think my participation will be of
> value to the group -- you guys seem to be pretty well off, and think you
> can do a great job.

Thank you for letting us know your opinions. Honest, and straightforward.
Its wonderful to have someone like that.  But I beg to differ on your
opinions. Now, Pyladies Bangalore chapter is growing strong. I mean it.

Just one question here, did you drop organizing a hackathon just because
you did not find something according to your taste? Just wondering. As for
Pyladies Bangalore is concerned, I will never let it go down. No matter
where I am, I will strive for it.

> good luck carrying this forward!
>
> thanks again for reaching out Anu, but I don't think this group is for me
> :(

Thanks, anybody wishes well for Pyladies Bangalore is my friend and thanks
for that. I hope I will see you again at Pyladies Bangalore. You must
believe in gaining from the community, if thats not the case, thats fine
too. It was nice knowing you.

> Kavita
>
> ps. Svaksha - I do no that this is a public group and I shared my digits
> with the intent to reach out to ppl and get to know you all. I guess it was
> not appreciated!

I appreciate that you have been to several hackathons and learned a lot
from organizing them. We are no hurry to be anywhere. The most important
goal that I see right now is to increase faith in women who have never
coded, who have left coding, etc that they can still code. That should
instill their confidence.

Thanks and regards,
Annapoornima