[pyOpenSSL-Users] 0.14 pure-Python implementation performance question.

Lance Fredrickson lancethepants at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 07:05:25 CET 2014

I compile and use pyopenssl on a low-powered embedded devices (RT-N16
router) for use in sabnzbd usenet client (for https connections).
My question is whether having a pure-Python implementation of pyopenssl
may cause some slowdown, particularly on an embedded device. Being that
pyopenssl is just a python wrapper for OpenSSL, I honestly don't know
how much that may affect performance, or whether it still will mostly be
dependent on my OpenSSL performance.  I know 'c' will always beat python
in speed, but don't know how being only a wrapper may affect things. My
router already can't keep up with my internet connection, so I wouldn't
want to slow it down anymore.
I guess I can just try it and see, although it looks like it has another
dependency I'd need to install too now. I thought I'd just ask and see
if there's an easy answer.

thanks
-Lance Fredrickson