[pypy-dev] IronPython

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Thu Dec 11 11:54:06 CET 2003

[Christian Tanzer Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 09:03:57AM +0100]

> > Alex Martelli tells me that Jim Hugunin has ported Python to .NET
> > and his new Python port is 70% faster than CPython 2.3 on pystones.
> > Anybody have any more information, webpage, code?
>
> You probably already know:
>
> http://www.python.org/~jeremy/weblog/031209a.html ?
>
> Doesn't contain a lot of information but points to a mail by Jim.

However, it certainly sounds promising.  Apart from generating LLVM-bytecode
we should definitely consider generating IL (the intermediate language from .NET) .
Jim also mentions the following bit:

    The current version of IronPython doesn't use any type inference or
    partial evaluation to improve performance.

I guess we could help there ...

cheers,

    holger