[pypy-dev] Re: [pypy-svn] rev 2674 - pypy/trunk/doc

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 22 17:52:40 CET 2003

On Monday 22 December 2003 04:42 pm, holger krekel wrote:
> Hi Alex and others,
>
> i think we should try to minimize the number of formatting changes not
> only in program code but also in ReST files as it makes reading the diffs
> really hard because you basically have to reread the whole document
> in order to see the differences.  As this has happended now several
> times i think it makes sense to think of some convention which allows
> the diffs to stay readable.
>
> Maybe (especially) ReST-changes should be done with a two-step approach:
> first the one where you can read the content diff and then the one (if
> neccessary at all) which has purely formatting changes and says so in
> the commit message.  And we might also think about a common line width
> so that not everybody reformats the text again and again :-)

Yes, good points.  I think line length of <80, indents of 4 spaces, no tabs,
no traling spaces allowed on any line under any pretext whatsoever,
would be good conventions; I find it extremely hard to edit files (be they
sources, ReST, or any other text) that fail to meet these conventions.

Is there a way, with subversion, to have a simple conformance test for this
kind of formatting parameters be run automatically, whenever a textfile is
committed?  If files breaking these conventions (or whatever conventions
we can all agree on) were never committed, this would minimize the need
for "changes that are purely related to formatting", I think.

Alex