[pypy-dev] Compiler Benchmarks

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Tue Feb 4 03:14:54 CET 2003

Oren Tirosh wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 07:34:44PM -0800, logistix wrote:
>
>>I compiled the contents of the Lib directory (but not subdirectories)
>>with the builtin compile, the compiler module's compile, and a hacked
>>compiler module that used my parser on a 866Mhz machine running WinXP.
>>
>>The builtin compile took an average of 2.9 seconds.
>>
>>The compiler module took an average of 105.3 seconds, or 36.3 times as
>>long.  The compiler module uses CPython's parser, but other than that
>>it's in pure Python.
>>
>>The hacked compiler module took an average of 177.2 seconds or 61.1
>>times as long.  It has a pure Python module, but relies on tokeize
>>which leaves re as the only C dependancy left.
>

> To get a (very rough) estimate of the performance we can expect from
> a PyPython compiler it would be interesting to know how fast this code
> runs with psyco.

Current Psyco probably does not give a good estimate what
can be achieved. I've had very good and quite bad experiences,
yet. Psyco is going to start off from the ground, written in
Python, with the experience of its C alpha implementation.

I don't put any relevance into measurements, today,
and you shouldn't, either.
Some misbeliever muttered today, that Armin's brain has
shrunk from a planet down to an asteroid, by adopting this
PyPy project. Nice joke!

I positively did not reply, since I want us to prove him wrong.
This time, Armin's mission is not only a singleton planet, but
it carries impressingly intelligent life. And we will focus our
collective work into creating an incredible outlet of imaginative
power.

(whow, did I say that? Can somebody please adjust tismer-bot?)

According to Stanislav Lem's immortal work, my current
project name proposal is

"Solaris".

If you want to avoid me telling that story in detail
on the sprint, be quick and read that book. !-)

all the best -- pirx

(yes, I do think he is caught in that time-loop trap)

(and he still thinks he can change the world. Together we can)