[pypy-dev] reusing existing work: Parrot

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Wed Feb 12 00:51:09 CET 2003

Lalo Martins wrote:
> Sorry, but quoting a bad-taste sticker, Parrot is as useful to Pypy as a
> bycicle is useful to a fish.

True, but for a different reason:
We can't target at a VM that isn't readily developed.
So if we have to fix the bicycle very much before
biking, we might consider to build our own unicycle,
instead. :-)

> Pypy is *not* about porting modules to
> pure-python, it's about having the *whole* implementation, including VM,
> written in pure-python.

This is right, but not the full story.
In the end, we need the little hamster
who is driving the wheel.
This can be a small VM in C, generated assembly,
generated C code, ..., anything that finally
actually does the computation.
We do not intend to depend on an existing VM,
after all, but this will be self-contained.

However you look at it, there will be at least
a small C kernel for bootstrapping, at first.
Maybe that will vanish, too, given that we
also code a code generator in Python.

More to come on the sprint. Need to talk.

ciao - chris