[pypy-dev] generating C

Steven Shaw steven_shaw at iprimus.com.au
Wed Feb 12 16:12:41 CET 2003

Why not generate C code, compile it and dynamically load it?

This is the technique used for Goo http://googoogaga.org/
Pretty sure this technique is used for gcl, too.
http://www.gnu.org/software/gcl/

This allows you to take advantage of the best C compiler optimisations on
the platform you are targeting. Also, it means you don't have to have a
bunch of jitter guys who try to keep up with the breadth of cpus and their
evolution. When I was comparing CL implementations recently, I thought that
clisp or cmucl would be the best (free ones) because they have native
compilation. However, I found that cmucl didn't have support for PIII or
PIV. Therefore gcl which generates C seemed like the best option.

Steve.