[pypy-dev] Memory management

Richard Emslie rxe at ukshells.co.uk
Fri Feb 14 23:42:06 CET 2003

Hi all,

This is my first post.  I have been enjoying lurking away here, reading
the various threads has been interesting despite having to occasionally
peel my brain off the frying pan ;-)

I have a naive question which I hope some kind sole will help me out on.
I have been waiting for memory management (lower level than garbage
collecting / ref counting) to be discussed.  I'm probably barking up the
wrong tree - but a "pypy python" object has to be resident in memory
somehow - and this needs a physical representation and heap allocation /
deallocation presumably?

Perhaps this is a post-bootstrap issue as we can piggy back on the
existing CPython infra-structure during development - but as far as I can
reason this will have to be ultimately handled by a minimal statically
compiled python which we do we do use in bootstrapping our pypy python?
Is this true?

Apologies if this has already been discussed - or I am plain
misunderstanding how things will work.  :-)

Good luck with the sprint!

Thanks,
Richard