[pypy-dev] repository access

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sat Feb 15 12:29:00 CET 2003

Hello everybody,

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 10:05:03AM +0100, holger krekel wrote:
> client.  I've heard that installing it is not too obvious
> from the http://subversion.tigris.org website so if you
> succeed installing it on your system, success stories
> are certainly welcome.

In my opinion, they have a bootstrapping problem.  The easy instructions tell
you to download a source tarball, compile it, and use it to checkout the
latest sources from their own repository.  Fine.  The sources are 6.7MB (my
poor modem line), which is not a problem per se.  But once you have built your
client, you realize that the instructions tell you to use the damn thing to
checkout the whole source tree into a *new* directory -- 6.7MB again!  It
won't download just the differences because the original tarball was not a
checked-out working directory in the first place :-((

When you must download 6.7MB and trash them immediately, I say the
bootstrapping procedure is bad bad bad :-(   Let's hope pypy will eventually
bootstrap without asking users to download CPython first!

This said, for Linux the instructions aren't that complicated:

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/INSTALL

(section II. A. 1, Bootstrapping from a Tarball).
Here is also a direct link to the current archive:

http://subversion.tigris.org/files/documents/15/2699/subversion-r4503.tar.gz

I had to fix a compilation problem because I have an old 'expat' installed
(version 1.1). 'configure' correctly detects it, but a line is missing in
subversion/include/svn_xml.h (add it at the beginning of the file if 'make'
fails with an error message about that file):

#include "svn_private_config.h"

Armin