[pypy-dev] Object model

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Tue Feb 18 23:09:11 CET 2003

VanL wrote:
> It seems like an appropriate time to ask this:
>
> I know that we want to preserve language semantics.  However, are
> bytecode-level semantics similarly to be preserved, especially because
> bytecode isn't always portable between CPython versions?

Having our bytecode interpreter serves different
goals.
One is to have CPython available as a compiler,
immediately.
Another one is to understand the Python engine
better. By re-implementing in a different language,
but with similar semantics, we learn everything
about it.
Furthermore, we try to get this huge amount of
open issues smaller. The few things we don't
change now is the language and the bytecodes.

After having made our way though this, we have a
very well understanding of the implementation and
all the issues it handles.

We are by no means saying that byte VMs are the
best way to go. There are other ways which have
their advantages.
At first, we want to go this way, which looks short
and achievable.
When that works, we can change the target.

ciao - chris