[pypy-dev] Re: Base Object library (was: stdobjspace status)

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Wed Feb 26 20:33:02 CET 2003

Stephan Diehl wrote:

> That's actually the place, where I'd really do it different to the CPython
> implementation. I'd factor out the r_longs to a library (as discussed several
> times in this thread) and would indeed write:
> import basiclong   # <== or something similar
> def long_long_sub(space, w_long1, w_long2):
>       x = w_long1.longval
>       y = w_long2.longval
>       try:
>           z = basiclong.sub(x , y)   #
>       except Error,e:
>           raise OperationError(Error, e)
>       return W_LongObject(z)

I don't remember that this was discussed, or I
misunderstood all the time.
What library should it be which provides the longs?
Maybe this works for longs, but what is then up with
say, dictionaries?

> As far as I'm concerned, the implementation of the basic/restricted types and
> the implementation of the W_XXXObjects should be clearly separated.

What do you mean? I can't see where I mixed them up.
The ones are the building blocks of the others.

> Anyway, we are probably not too far apart
> in our opinion about this topic :-)

Well, just this one:
I don't understand the library idea.
How do we get to a minimal, self-contained
Python if we don't implement everything ourselves?

ciao - chris