[pypy-dev] Re: Base Object library (was: stdobjspace status)

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Thu Feb 27 14:10:55 CET 2003

Hello Paolo,

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 01:00:12PM +0100, Paolo Invernizzi wrote:
> Can you point out some idea about the *work* of the RPython-to-C translator?

Your description is reasonable, althought I can imagine that we will start
with only the following objective in mind: being able to re-emit C code that
looks like CPython.

The code written in RPython ("R"estricted) is only the interpreter-level stuff
(and not absolutely everything, e.g. multi-dispatch should probably be
rewritten by hand in C depending on the low-level object representation).  I
was targetting only this part for the RPython-to-C translator.  In other
words, this would (at first) be a completely static transformation of the pypy
source to C.  This would be application-independent, giving something that can
be easily redistributed as an alternative to CPython.

Armin