[pypy-dev] bootstrapping issues

Marc Recht marc at informatik.uni-bremen.de
Sun Jan 12 09:31:58 CET 2003

> There is the idea of not using make/configure/automake
Not using automake/autoconf is IMHO "The Right Thing".

> but a simple understandable debuggable (read: python based)
> build environment.  IOW words the number of dependencies
> for building Minimal Python should also be minimal.
Why not using make ? It's installed on any system that has a c compiler, so
it doesn't add another dependency. IMHO we could use it to bootstrap the
core and then go on with something Python based (using the bootstrapped
core).

While traveling through NetBSD's pkgsrc I came across this
http://buildtool.sourceforge.net/ . I haven't tried it yet, but the
description sounds promising.

Marc

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil." -- Donald E. Knuth