[pypy-dev] Proposal

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Mon Jan 20 14:13:13 CET 2003

Stephan Diehl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a little bit confused at the moment about what you really try to achive
> and I'm not too sure if everybody is talking about the same thing.
> Anyway, since two of the founders of this pypy discussion are meeting in
> person this Friday I'd propose that I grill them a little bit and write up
> some paper about it (and post it here, of course).

We are rewriting Python in Python.
Stepwise. First, getting a minimal
system up and running, replacing the
core modules by hand.
Finally, we want to lift all of the C code
to Python, in order to do certain things
with that, like trying different ways to
copile it back into C, another VM, Psyco,
trying different versions of the object
model, all of that.
And yes, there should be a way to downsize
Python, reasonably, then.

Grilled Python in Perlchicken sauce :-)