[pypy-dev] How to translate 300000 lines of C

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Mon Jan 20 14:53:51 CET 2003

[Thomas Heller Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 10:09:16AM +0100]
> Hm, maybe people could take responisbility for one or two modules
> and rewrite them in Python?

I think this is a good idea.

Christians idea of automatically translating CPython
source to python code sure makes sense.  But there will
be quite some modules which we have to manually code
and the structmodule is certainly among them.

regarding the automatic translation:

At the last FOSDEM conference i talked to Richard Dale
who wrote a tool (IIRC "Koala") which automatically
generates 5 or 6 bindings for the KDE/QT-library
directly from the C++ code, for Java, Objective C
and others.  Although he was very experienced it
took him a year or so to get it going.  But maybe
"translating" CPython code is considerably simpler
than this.

Anyway, i think we can start from 'both sides'.
Manually rewriting stuff in python and work on
a C-to-Python translator.

cheers,

    holger