[pypy-dev] Restricted language

Nicolas Chauvat Nicolas.Chauvat at logilab.fr
Mon Jan 20 11:56:24 CET 2003

[...]
> As already said on the list, I like Mozart/Oz but not its syntax. Here
> are two links that I hope useful:
>
> 1. oz kernel language
> http://www.mozart-oz.org/documentation/tutorial/node1.html#label2
>
> It says that other language constructs are built on top of that.
>
> 2. hierarchy of primary types
> http://www.mozart-oz.org/documentation/tutorial/node3.html#label14
>
> What about reusing the idea of record that serves as a basis for a lot
> of higher-level constructs (dictionnaries, tuples, classes and objects,
> etc.) See also
> http://www.mozart-oz.org/documentation/tutorial/node3.html#label19

This is really interesting and definatelly goes in the direction Stackless
might have taken in the future (that is a network transparent runtime
environment).

> IMHO, the goal we are trying to achieve can not be a new idea. Looking
> around for research papers and research languages is a good way not to
> completely reinvent the wheel.

I don't know if this helps (probably confuses more than anything else :-)
The other day I had a look at a smalltalk environment (squeaky. For the
intersted german reader, there is a smalltalk article in the latest c't).
Anyway, the interesting part is that the smalltalk runtime engine is written
in, guess what, smalltalk.
What you are really running is of course compiled C Code, but the smalltalk
environment is able to compile the virtual machine smalltalk code to C.

Stephan