[pypy-dev] Re: Notes on compiler package

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Jan 23 14:16:22 CET 2003

"Samuele Pedroni" <pedronis at bluewin.ch> writes:

> From: "Michael Hudson" <mwh at python.net>
> > Yep.  This is compiler.transformer.  It has to be said, if you were
> > writing a parser for Python in Python, I'd shoot for generating the
> > output of the transformer module rather than aping what the parser
> > module produces.
> >

> yes, btw there have been undergoing work to substitute parser module and what
> is used internally by CPython with a (new) AST format:
>
> [Compiler-sig] compiler-sig project for Python 2.3: new AST
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/compiler-sig/2002-March/000091.html
>
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/python/python/nondist/sandbox/as
> t/
>
> there should be also a CVS branch

There is: ast-branch.  I'd forgotten about that.  Finishing that stuff
up might make this project easier...

> Finn Bock has already incorparated this in Jython, OTOH I think work
> on CPython has stalled.

Yes.

> The idea is that future versions of (e.g) PyChecker ought to use
> the (new) AST format.
>
> Jeremy Hylton should be asked on the status of this.

I think he's stupidly busy.  Python developers really shouldn't be
allowed to have kids <wink>.

Cheers,
M.

--
  If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them
  down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.