[pypy-dev] __builtin__ module

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Sat Jan 25 04:24:37 CET 2003

Nathan Heagy wrote:
>     chr(i) vs. '%c'%i vs. '\x00\x01...\xFF'[i]:
>

> Isn't part of this decision is whether the string type will itself be
> written in Python? If so then the chr(i) functionality will be a method
> of the String class, and even if String class is written in C chr()
> could probably still be a class method. Perhaps minimalPython does need
> a char type so that strings can be written in python and not C?

The implementation enginge of MinimalPython, not MinimalPythonitself
necessarily, needs to have a way to express "this is a single char".
This will most probably be expressed by using an instance of
an according type like in ctypes.

This is not necessary in the first iteration of the
bootstrap, but later, when we have a running engine,
and begin to make it efficient.

cheers - chris