[pypy-dev] __builtin__ module

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Sat Jan 25 04:41:37 CET 2003

Scott Fenton wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 01:55:04AM +0100, Samuele Pedroni wrote:
>>I guess that what you mean is that (limited) untyped bit vectors can be used in
>>an intermediate representation near to machine code generation in a
>>to-machine-code compiler.
>>My point is that wrt  capturing python semantics in python in a way that is
>>statically analyzable in order to produce widely different "backends" the
>>notion of untyped bits  vector is likely too low level. (Even if the backend
>>set should encompass "compilers").
> OK then, in that case, sure. Bit vectors do end up being too
> low-level. I think it would really help this project to have
> a clear statement of what we're aiming to do: ie., do we
> want a parser with multiple backends, two of which are interpet
> and compile, or do we want a simple python->machine code or
> python->execute as interpeted translator?

At the moment, we want any and all of that.
Even the statement about bit vectors being
too low-level is a bit ;-) early to be stated.
Together with a good set of description objects
for the bits in the vector, it does make sense.
This is the really intersting structure, the
vectors is much less relevant.