[pypy-dev] Builtin types

Nathan Heagy nathanh at zu.com
Mon Jan 27 17:43:01 CET 2003

>> OTOH I think a higher level of abstraction is necessary to targert
>> more general
>> backends.
>
> I agree with Samuele that we should not focus on ctypes or any other
> kind of
> structs right now.  For all of ctypes' power I believe that it is not
> central
> to Python-in-Python.  This will become important later, when we target
> C.

So you're suggesting backends besides C? That's a good idea since it
would allow us to in fact build a backend in C# which I brought up as a
joke earlier (no one seemed to have noticed the j/k) but which might
not be such a bad idea. A java backend would even be possible. If most
of the code is Python anyways and a minimal amount is needed in another
language to get things running then there is huge potential to target
other platforms, etc. It would even aid PPC/OS X support which is
something I greatly desire.
--
Nathan Heagy
phone:306.653.4747