[pypy-dev] type problems

Günter Jantzen guenter.jantzen at netcologne.de
Wed Jul 9 13:40:20 CEST 2003

> Debugging PyPy is ludicrously complicated: I know Python as well as
> almost anyone.  I know more about PyPy than just a very few people.
> I'm fairly smart.  And *I* get hopelessly lost in the internals.  What
> can we do about this?

Hallo Michael,

sometimes when interactive debugging is complicated, it can be helpful to
avoid it and to use some kind of logging mechanism instead.
I remember a project with a huge framework. It was very difficult to
understand when and how our functions where called and what was expected.
One member of our team  started only to write a little printf at the entry
and exit of every function.
When he changed something he compared the logfiles with a regression test.

After some weeks he could teach us how to use the framework.

I think someone who is *fairly smart* ;-)  could introduce a similar logging
mechanism without a lot of boilerplate print statements

Günter