[pypy-dev] Application-level helpers

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Wed Jul 9 18:14:18 CEST 2003

Armin Rigo wrote:

[about getting rid of the app files -- great!]

Holger, this is a nice idea!

> This clarification also means that it is an independent issue to know what we
> should write by strictly sticking to RPython or not. Application-level code is
> essentially just a way to avoid wraps. All interpreter-level code should be in
> RPython, but then some application-level code could be easy enough for the
> analyzer to understand too. If they are, the code generator can make efficient
> code from them too (cool!), i.e. it would not matter if the code was defined
> at interpreter-level or application-level. For very complex helpers, there is
> always the option to fall back to emitting frozen bytecode and interpreting
> it.

Very very cool implications!!

Let me try:
If the analyser is able to produce interpreter-level
code from application-level code in an efficient
way, then this is the equivalent of producing
C code from a Python function, in the "real world".
Furthermore, since the interpreter-level code is
actually what is "the C library", this code
can now be optimized for a specific Python function.

In other words, we have broken the "C library barrier",
and reached one of the most ambitious goals of this
project. (In theory. We just need the analyser :-)

in-the-hope-that-this-conclusion-is-correct--ly y'rs - chris