[pypy-dev] Re: Objects and types in the stdobjspace

Rocco Moretti roccomoretti at netscape.net
Tue Jun 10 06:05:54 CEST 2003

Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> wrote:

>roccomoretti at netscape.net (Rocco Moretti) writes:

>> Secondly, the testing framework as written will only run tests at the
>> interpreter level. Some tests (such as test_exceptcomp and test_exec)
>> should be run at the application level.
>
>Yes.  I don't see how to easily and gracefully allow this.

Naming convention? test_excptcomp_app.py and test_exec_app.py for example?

>Hmm, maybe.  regrtest has become somewhat crufty over the years, I
>don't think we need all of it.  In a way, I'd prefer to keep things
>within the unittest framework if possible

regrtest has provisions for working with unittest files, and if we want to
work with the CPython regression tests, we need to deal with regrtest in
some fashion anyway. (But I agree - regrtest is intimidating to work with.)

>(although working closely
>with it for the first time has made its Java heritage unpleasantly
>clear...).

How so?

>We also need a LOT more tests!

Like what? (Knowing what to test is 73.495% of the battle [+- 50%])

>> And in keeping with my rearranging mood, I think main.py should
>> probably be placed in the pypy/ directory.
>
>Hmm.  Maybe, or maybe the executable that people actually run will
>look like this:
>
>#!/usr/bin/python
>from pypy.interpreter import main
>main.main()

I think:

#!/usr/bin/python
from pypy import main
main.main()

is a bit cleaner, especially if we start to expand into the realm of
multiple BytecodeSpaces/ExecutionSpaces (i.e. if interpreter becomes
std_interpreter)

>Thanks, I think we really moved things forward.  Are you able to come
>to the next sprint?

Unfortunately no, I'm not able to travel at this time. (Too busy.)

-Rocco