[pypy-dev] Re: [pypy-svn] rev 809 - pypy/trunk/src/pypy/objspace/std

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Mon Jun 16 00:29:02 CEST 2003

[Christian Tismer Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 12:05:38AM +0200]
> hpk at codespeak.net wrote:
>
> > Author: hpk
> > Date: Sat Jun 14 19:15:16 2003
> > New Revision: 809
> >
> > Modified:
>
> 19 modified source files.
>
> > Log:
> > revised multimethod registration machinery
> >
> > - now functions whose name is of the form "X__Y1_Y2_..."
> >   are registered on the multimethod "X" on StdObjSpace or
> >   (if that doesn't exist) on an alternatively provided namespace's
> >   multimethod.
>
> Etc.
> I don't recall that this change has been agreed upon. I
> understood this as just an idea, posted for discussion.

I took three more or less positive oppinions as enough to
give it a go. Maybe that was too hasty.

> Am I missing something from the last messages?
> Otherwise I would like to ask this admittedly anarchical group,
> to define *how* anarchical it is planning to be in the future.

sure enough, the code base is still pretty much in flux.
OTOH the revision-809 change is not supposed to change any
architecture but to reduce boilerplate and improve readability.
I went through all the files and didn't encounter any problems but
in fact fixed some bugs and typos which went unnoticed before.

> > - remaining is "intobject.py" because test/test_intobject.py
> >   uses the intobject.* names directly instead of going through
> >   the StdObjSpace. Actually, at first i also changed intobject
> >   and test_intobject but i didn't understand the "OverflowError"
> >   handling so i reverted my changes to not destroy anything
> >
> >   could someone explain the r_int / int / long / overflow business
> >   on pypy-dev?
>
> You have been pondering about intobject in another mail to pypy-dev
> as well. I would like to remind you that this was implemented
> by me on the first sprint, as one of the very first, really complete
> implementations of anything not faked. It is therefore in the
> style of that time, which has changed in the between, of course.

No doubt, the intobject is the most detailed implementation among
the objspace's xxxobjects.  And I knew that you implemented it -
also from some comments :-)
But i checked with "svn log intobject.py" and noticed that the
last five commits came from Armin and also involved Multimethods...

> Most probably, you are  unaware of this, or you would surely have
> asked me, directly.

...I have sent you a couple of private mails lately and you didn't
respond so i thought you may be busy with other stuff.
So all in all i thought i'd be better off asking in the wild
especially because other people might be interested in any answers.

> On your questions concerning restricted integers:
> Please see
> http://codespeak.net/moin/pypy/moin.cgi/RestrictedPython
> and the chapter there named "Example: Integer Types",
> which I also wrote on that sprint.

thanks for the pointer.

cheers,

    holger