[pypy-dev] Fork lib and pythonpath?

Samuele Pedroni pedronis at bluewin.ch
Mon Mar 3 11:42:23 CET 2003

> The only other alternative is to insert something into pythonpath before any
> of the standard entries so we can stub stuff in there.

that's how we develop in Jython

> Still, if the
> ultimate goal is to have a standalone pypy interpreter, we're going to need
> to fork sooner or later.

I don't think that's absolutely necessary.

> Sooner will allow us to flush out some
> unanticipated dependancies in the early stages.

> Of course the downside of doing this is that someone will need to monitor
> CPython's lib directory and port patches across.  It might be a little time
> consuming, but for now the patches on python-commit should be able to be
> applied easily.

with Jython we have some modules (a small number apart all the built-ins one)
that are different from CPython:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/jython/jython/Lib/

for the rest when developing we setup the path such that our modules override
those in an installed CPython, when we build a distribution we copy the shared
modules and merge them with ours in one directory (tree) and then we distribute
our modules plus the shared ones.